Member Biography


D.A. Ferguson

David Allan Ferguson

(1922.08.05 – 1975.12.01)
SLS, ALS, MLS, DLS
Commission #095
(1948.05.15)
Articled to J.E. Underwood

In my biographies covering J.E.Underwood S.L.S. and R.A.McLellan S.L.S. the research unearthed documentary material on Dave Ferguson.

He was born August 5th, 1922, in Blairmore, Alberta and obtained his early education there. Graduating in 1945 from the University of Alberta with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, he joined the firm of Underwood and McLellan. Mr. Underwood articled Dave and he received his commission as a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor in 1947, with commission number 095.

Dave received his commissions as an Alberta Land Surveyor in 1949, and his Manitoba commission in 1958. He was President of the Saskatchewan association in 1955, and again in 1956.

Some of Dave’s survey experiences included;

  • In charge of the Inter-Provincial Oil Pipeline from Edmonton Alberta, to Regina 1949. They also surveyed the line East of Regina to Southern Manitoba.
  • Surveyed 71 miles of the Trans-Canada Highway between Regina and Manitoba in 1950 – 51.
  • Involved in many of the surveys in the early stages of the Royal Canadian Air Force base at Cold Lake, Alberta.
  • Surveyed the large Grosvenor Park Subdivision in Saskatoon in the early 1950’s.

It was in 1954, that five associates of Underwood and McLellan, Messrs Fred Small, Bill McKay, David Fergusson, Gerry Beaumont and Bev. Ellis took over the firm. Prior to the amalgamation, Dave became head of the surveying branch in 1952. Dave remained with the UMA group until 1962 when he went with the City of Saskatoon Engineering Department. In 1964, he opened his own office as a surveyor and engineer until his untimely death in 1975.

According to SLS records, Mr. Ferguson articled six students that obtained their Saskatchewan Land Surveyors Commission. They were Messr’s Ernie Fischer, Jack Schaeffer, John Klassen, Ollie Dravnieks, Merv Zulynik and Gunter Hohn. It is also noted that Jack Schaeffer, C.E; S.L.S., opened the Underwood and McLellan office in Moose Jaw in 1952. This office was responsible for many engineering and surveys in the area including one hundred miles to survey the Trans-Canada Gas Line in Saskatchewan.

Besides his affiliation with our association Mr. Ferguson was a member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Saskatchewan, the Engineering Institute of Canada, the Canadian Institute of Surveying, a Mason and member of Saskatchewan Lodge A.F. and A.M. #16 and a member of the WaWa Shrine.

Dave married Mary McGregor in 1958. He had two brothers one in Edmonton and the other in Prince Alberta, Saskatchewan.

(J.H. Webb, SLS, Life Member – December 2005)