Member Biography


F.C. Christie

Frank Carl Christie

(1895.03.18 – 1949.02.01)
SLS
Commission #072
(1922.03.30)

It is with deep regret your Committee has to report the death of Frank Carl Christie, B.A. Sc., and a Member of this Association. Frank Christie died at his home at 2643, Lorne Street, Regina, on February 1st of this year. He had just returned from a business trip to Winnipeg and suffered a heart attack in a taxi which was bringing him from the Union Station to his residence. He died a few minutes after reaching his home.

Mr. Christie was born in Yorkton, Saskatchewan, in 1896. He attended Public and High Schools in Yorkton and was an Honour Graduate of the Faculty of Applied Science of Toronto University with the Degree of B.A.Sc. He articled with H.K. Moberly, S.L.S. of Yorkton in February 1920 and received his Commission as a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor No. 72 in March 1922.

He was appointed Building Inspector for the City of Regina on 1st July, 1946 and held this position at the time of his death.

He was President of The Saskatchewan Land Surveyors' Association in 1933 and again in 1943, and was always active in the affairs of the Association. He, together with Mr. K.N. Crowther, was appointed Auditor for the Association for the year 1948. His last service to the Association was auditing the Secretary's financial statement for 1948. He signed this statement as Auditor on 28th January 1949 - just four days before his death.

He was a Member of The Engineering Institute of Canada, and The Association of Professional Engineers of Saskatchewan, and was a Member of the Council of these Sister Organizations in 1944 and L945.

Mr. Christie was a Member and Officer of Banner Lodge A.F. and A.M., also a Member of Westminster United Church, Regina.

He is survived by his wife, one daughter Francis, living in Regina, and one son Glen, now residing in Yorkton.

Attached to this Report are two clippings from The Regina Leader Post, one dated 1st February 1949 and the other 3rd February 1949.

Report of the Biography and Repository Committee, 1949

(The following is an excerpt from the February 1949 Regina Leader Post clipping)

Born in Yorkton, Mr. Christie was son of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Christie, early settlers of the Yorkton district.

He received his public and high school education in Yorkton and then enrolled in the University of Toronto. He graduated with honours in civil engineering in also, receiving his B.A.Sc. degree. He specialized in structural types of engineering,

Following his graduation, Mr. Christie accepted a position as an engineer with a steel rolling mill in Buffalo, N.Y. After a few months service he went to Fort William where he was engaged in the design and construction of terminal grain elevators.

He returned to Yorkton in 1919, (wrote his examinations to qualify as a Saskatchewan land surveyor, and formed a surveying partnership. He did surveying work in all parts of the province.

In 1928 Mr. Christie came to Regina and bought the surveying practice of C. S. Cameron. He remained at this work until 1934 when he became business manager of the Concrete Produces Co. in Regina, remaining at this work until 1938.

In that year he was employed by the city oI Regina to supervise construction at the municipal airport.

A year later he joined the staff of the provincial department of highways as resident engineer. In this post he surveyed parts of Saskatchewan which had never been surveyed before, including the Green Lake and Big River districts. He also surveyed many roads and power lines.

Mr. Christie was loaned to the federal department of transport and was in charge of the construction of extensions to the Regina airfield and the construction of the flying training school at Swift Current.

In 1941, Mr. Christie joined the city engineering department as an assistant. It was during his service in this department that he worked on the relief storm sewer plans.

When H. A. Chroome retired from the post of acting building inspector, Mr. Christie was appointed city building inspector.

His work included the recommendation for repair work on the city hall. In co-operation with the city medical health officer, he was instrumental in having many decrepit buildings in Regina torn down, assisting in the beautification of the city. Mr. Christie was a member of the Westminster United church, an officer of the Masonic Banner lodge, past president of the Saskatchewan Land Surveyors and a member of the Engineering Institute of Canada.

Mayor G. N. Menzies and City Commissioner G. M. Gillis Tuesday paid tribute to the work of Mr. Christie: "During the comparatively short period of time that Mr. Christie was building inspector, he proved to be a most careful, sincere, and conscientious employee of the city. He was held, in the very highest regard and esteem, not only by all heads of departments and associates in the civic service, but by a very wide circle of friends."

He is survived by his wile; one, daughter, Frances, Regina; one son, Glen, Yorkton, and two sisters, Mrs. T. K. McNicol, Vancouver, and Mrs. T. W. Ferguson, North Battleford.