How Can I Become a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor . .

. . as a high school student or graduate?


An applicant for a commission as a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor must first obtain a Certificate of Completion from the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS).

The quickest way for a high school graduate to obtain a Certificate of Completion from the CBEPS is to obtain a Bachelor of Science degree in Surveying Engineering or Geomatics Engineering from one of the recognized degree programs in Canada - currently the University of Calgary or the University of New Brunswick. Provided that certain elective classes are taken during the course of study, graduates automatically receive a Certificate of Completion.

Graduates from a Geomatics Engineering Technology program in Canada may apply to the CBEPS for certain exemptions, based on the courses they have taken. Courses that automatically qualify for exemptions are listed on the CBEPS web site for various universities and technical colleges. The remaining credits must then be obtained either by attending special courses sponsored by some technical colleges - but these are limited - or by a course of home study, and challenging the CBEPS exams. Alternatively, technical college graduates may apply to one of the recognized Geomatics Engineering degree granting universities (currently the U. of C. and U. N. B.) for credits toward a degree in Geomatics Engineering and a Certificate of Completion.

Having obtained a Certificate of Completion, an applicant must enter into an articling agreement with a licensed Saskatchewan Land Surveyor to become a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor in Training (SLSIT).

After completing at least of one year of practical experience, including at least nine months of field experience in Saskatchewan and a Professional Survey Project, the applicant becomes eligible to write his or her Professional Examinations.

Successful completion of the Professional Examinations is the final step to being granted a Commission as a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor.